Monday, July 21, 2014

God's Word

This world fights for my attention, the small tiny things to the big things, but in the wide picture they are "simply" distractions, they look different for everyone...for me its stuff from that dirt on my kitchen floor, dishes, cars and legos scattered all over the kid's bedroom floors, bed sheets that need changed way more often in the Summer than in the Winter, the awesome clearance sales, those horrific weeds in my yard oh and my garden, dust and cat hair, mountains of laundry...I could go on and on and on. These things sometimes keep me distracted from training and teaching my children, but more than anything they keep me in a place of internal chaos.  Restlessness.  Not peaceful and eventually angry!  I know, really anger!?!  Yep! They all roll up into ONE BIG BALL of self pity and self defeat.  I can't keep up.  I can't do it.  I have no help.  Its too much. Blah blah blah blah.  But ultimately it keeps me SEPARATED from Jesus. That's the real tragedy. Not that some of those things don't get accomplished, (uhhh laundry never really gets done anyway right and let's be real two-two year olds...my floors may never be clean all at once...EVER AGAIN!).  Its sad really, not the floors, the disconnect from my personal savior and the FACT that I'm responsible for that.  Its something that I allow to overwhelm me too often, too much.  Satan knows.  He knows the distractions to use to pull me away from the peaceful spot I long to rest in, stay in, in Christ's presence, His arms.  I got to get back to that place I love.  And often times, that's a battle in and of itself as well.  I have to constantly remind myself what is important.  I already have two, sometimes three "to-do" list (and yes I have those "to-be" lists too).  Satan wants my soul, and yours.  He knows my weaknesses.  I have to redirect myself, just like I have to with my kids...everyday!  I have to make a CHOICE to turn my back from those distractions and open the Word of God and soak up his promises.  So easy, but yet, so hard.  But it is MY CHOICE.  Today I soaked up:
1 John 4:4-6 (TLB)
 Dear young friends, you belong to God and have already won your fight with those who are against Christ because there is someone in your hearts who is stronger than any evil teacher in this wicked world. These men belong to this world, so, quite naturally, they are concerned about worldly affairs and the world pays attention to them. But we are children of God; that is why only those who have walked and talked with God will listen to us. Others won’t. That is another way to know whether a message is really from God; for if it is, the world won’t listen to it.
Romans 8:38-39 (NLT)
 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God's Word is reassuring.  His Word is reliable.  His Word is Truth.  Its what I rest in.  Its what I train myself to turn to, to lean into, to trust in, to live by...to break away from the chaos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment